Making your own butter

I am absolutely amazed by the fact that I can make butter just by beating cream. I've never given butter any thought, but when I read about all the different variations of home made butter, I knew I had to try it. 
All you need is cream, salt and a mixer. And a whooole lot of patience. This took me about 30 minutes.

Here we go: 


Yup, the mixer is working, but you're not there yet. Keep beating.


After what feels like forever, things are starting to happen. If you taste it now, it should taste lumpy, like something is not right. (But it is, don't worry!) Put it back on again.


All of a sudden you are going to hear a sloshing sound and you are going to think you did something wrong, because there's liquid in the bowl. You didn't, this is what you want to happen. That liquid is buttermilk, and the rest is butter! But you're not completely there yet, put it back on again! 


Then you're going to hear a clumping sound, like a lump of something being thrown around. TA DAAAA! You've made butter! Now you need to "wash" the butter. Throw out the buttermilk  and add some water and take it for another mixing-spin.


Throw out the water, add new water. Throw out the water, add new water. Until the water runs clear. 


Take out the ball of butter, squeeze out the excess water and add any flavouring you want. 


And there is your butter! Keep it in the fridge, it lasts for about 3-4 weeks. 


I've added Garlic and Herb seasoning and some salt. Here's a few ideas to add to your butter
Honey
Parsley, Rosemary, Garlic, Oregano, Chives, Mint, Thyme
Sundried tomato
Vanilla bean
Any jam of your choice

Try it and let me know what you made! 


No comments:

Post a Comment