"Tie-Dyeing" with Fabric Paint DIY



I've been playing around with the idea of dyeing fabrics, so I've been Pinterest-ing and Google-ing all things related for some time now. I remember doing the tie-dye thing back in primary school, but that's as far as my expertise goes.

My biggest problem was that I don't have a thousand and ten things to dye at once, so I would like to have a little more control over how much dye I use at a time. And I also couldn't find the colours I needed. (Obviously. That always happens with all my projects. They have 6000 colours, except the blue I want...)

After my adventures with painting onesies I've learned that fabric paint will bleed if you accidentally wet it while the paint is still drying. Oops. But a good oops. Because of that, I figured I could control the bleed to create a tie-dye effect. So, here's what you'll need:

Cotton fabric (T-shirts, piece of fabric or whatever you want to use. I had a few onesies left that I used)
Fabric Paint
Rope/Rubber Bands to tie the fabric in creative ways.
Paintbrush (Yes, I'm aware that is a make-up brush. I apologise to all the make-up artists out there that just had a heart attack)
Some water

And that's it!




Tie your fabric up in whatever way you want. The concertina-sausage worked the best for me, the spiral didn't get as much paint inside as I wanted and the purple scrunch one was a complete waste, don't do that...)


Mix some paint in a tiny bit of water. 


Start painting with the water. I used a lot of water and very light colours so I found it too light, but I liked the "watercolour" feel it had on the fabric so I kept starting with that before adding more paint. 


If it is too light add some fabric paint, wet your brush and smudge it, like so: 


The more water you add, the more it'll bleed. Because I used a dry piece of fabric (I'll show the difference between using wet and dry fabric a bit later) I really needed to add a lot of water. Open the folds a bit and you'll see some white, dry bits. Add some more paint and water to them, but not a lot otherwise you won't have the pattern you created with the rope. You can maybe start with the "paint water" instead of adding paint to them.

                                       

Continue with the other colours. 
Here's the purple before I smudged it with water.

                                                                           

All done! 


The nice thing about using paint is that if you open it up and there are too many dry, white spots,  you can add a spot of paint and just smudge it with water until it looks like the rest. Open it up and let it dry completely. Then follow the heatset instructions on your fabric paint before washing it. 

Here I tried using a onesie that I soaked in water before painting it.



But the colours were very faded and washed out. I would rather use a dry piece of fabric and just add water to the spots I'm painting. 


Here's why I liked using a dry onesie, it looks like it was painted with waterpaint, see?


Try it and show me what you made! 



No comments:

Post a Comment